One of the facts about Dilantin is it is a brand name of the medication phenytoin, which is utilized to treat seizures. Phenytoin is an off-white, nearly fragrance-free, crystalline powder. It is marginally solvent in water as well as dissolvable in 1 of 70 alcohols. Phenytoin sodium is the sodium salt of phenytoin. It is a white, scentless, somewhat hygroscopic crystalline powder. It is solvent in water and liquor. The medicine is additionally utilized to counteract seizures after brain surgery. The medication is in a category of solutions recognized as anticonvulsants. It works by means of diminishing irregular electrical action in the brain. Dilantin was initially affirmed for utilizing in seizures by the FDA (Food and Drug Administration) in 1953 and is finished by Pfizer, Inc.
Facts About Dilantin | Everything You Need to Know
In this article:
- Phenytoin Indications And Contraindications
- What Health Conditions Does Dilantin Treat?
- In What Manner Would It Be Advisable To Utilize This Medicine?
- When Not To Take This Medicine?
- Dilantin Side Effects
- Dilantin Alerts
- Dilantin Overdose
- Dilantin Overdose Treatment
- Missed Dose Of Dilantin
- What Modes Does This Medicine Come In?
- How Does This Medicine Function And What Will It Accomplish For Me?
- How Long To Take It?
- Why is Dilantin endorsed to patients?
- What Dietary Guidelines Would It Be A Good Idea For Me To Take After?
- Would It Be Advisable For Me To Think About Storage And Disposal Of This Prescription?
- What Other Information Would Be A Decent Proposal For Me To Discern?
- What Will Different Medications Influence Dilantin?
- Universal Concerns From Individuals Taking Dilantin (Phenytoin)
Phenytoin Indications And Contraindications
Dilantin is revealed for the regulation of generalized tonic-clonic (grand mal) accompanied with complex partial (temporal lobe and psychomotor) seizures and prevention in addition to treatment of seizures happening during or taking after neurosurgery. Phenytoin serum level judgments might be vital for ideal dosage changes.
At first: 100mg 3 times every day. Increment week after week if necessary, max 200mg 3 times each day. Once a day dosing just with ext-rel caps for patients controlled on 300mg every day.
At first: 5mg/kg every day in 2-3 similarly partitioned dosages. Increment week by week if necessary. Regular support: 4-8mg/kg every day, max 300mg each day.
History of earlier intense hepatotoxicity because of phenytoin. Concomitant delavirdine.
What Health Conditions Does Dilantin Treat?
Dilantin oral is utilized to treat the following:
- convulsive seizures
- tonic-clonic epilepsy
- epileptic seizure
- seizure taking place during neurosurgery
- prevention of seizures taking after a head injury or surgery
In What Manner Will It Be Advisable to Utilize This Medicine?
The prescribed dose of phenytoin differs due to individual requirements. The suggested beginning dose for grown-ups is 100 mg taken 3 times each day. Your physician will then modify the dosage in view of how well it functions and endured by the patient. The standard grown-up doses are 300 mg to 400 mg on a daily basis taken via mouth in separated dosages or solitary dose. An expansion to 600 mg taken in separate dosage might be required from time to time.
The youngsters’ dosage depends on age together with body weight. The suggested beginning dosage is 5 mg for every kilogram of body weight every day, which is then separated into three levels of dosages.
The state of phenytoin in your blood can be tested by way of lab testing. This test facilitates your physician’s decision on how many doses of phenytoin is right for you. Try not to utilize capsules that are stained.
Numerous things can influence the dosage of a medicine that a man requires, such as body weight, other therapeutic conditions, and different drugs. On the off chance that your physician has suggested a dose not the same as the ones recorded here, don’t alter the way you are taking the drug without consulting your physician.
It is imperative to take this drug precisely as endorsed by your physician. If you miss a dose, take it as quickly as time permits and proceed with your normal timetable. In the event that it is nearly time for your next dose, avoid the missed dosage and proceed with your normal dosing plan. Do not take a double dose to compensate for a missed one. If you don’t know what to do after missing a dosage, get in touch with your physician or pharmacist for guidance.
Store all types of this prescription at room temperature; shield it from light and dampness. In addition, keep it out of reach from kids. Try not to discard drugs in wastewater (i.e. down the sink or in the latrine) or in household garbage. Solicit your pharmacist on how to get rid of medicines that are no longer required to be taken or have expired.
When Not to Take This Medicine?
Try not to utilize phenytoin in the event that you:
- are susceptible to phenytoin or any ingredients of the drug
- are hypersensitive to different medicines in the group of drugs known as hydantoins, that is, fosphenytoin
Dilantin Side Effects
You ought to tell your physician if any of the accompanying manifestations ends up plainly acute or doesn’t get away:
- disarray or moderated thinking
- deficit of harmonization
- inaudible dialogue
- facial changes
- gum growth
- constipation, nausea, or vomiting
- lip extension
- undesirable hair development
- agony or bending of the penis
- out of control eye actions or irregular body actions
- trouble nodding off or staying unconscious
You ought to call your physician instantly in the event that you encounter any of the accompanying acute symptoms:
- swelling or rash
- swollen organs
- joint torment
- yellowing of the eyes or skin
- flu-like indications
- extreme exhaustion
- abnormal bleeding or bruising
- deficit of craving
- torment in the upper right portion of the stomach
You must not take Dilantin if you are also taking delavirdine (Rescriptor), or in the event that you are adversely affected by fosphenytoin (Cerebyx), phenytoin, ethotoin (Peganone), or mephenytoin (Mesantoin). This drug may affect your mental wellness in unforeseen ways. A few people who take Dilantin end up noticeably self-destructive. You or your caregiver ought to inform your physician immediately if you encounter any of the accompanying indications:
- brutal conduct
- disturbance or eagerness
- panic disorders
- pulling back from loved ones
- lunacy (an anomalous energized disposition)
- contemplating or discussing with reference to suicide
Dilantin might expand your blood sugar levels. You ought to converse with your physician in relation to side effects of high blood sugar as well as what to do if you encounter these effects. This medication can likewise expand your hazard for creating osteomalacia (debilitating and softening of bones) along with Hodgkin lymphoma (malignancy that starts in the lymph nodes). You may likewise encounter swollen lymph nodes while taking Dilantin. You ought to discuss these health risks with your doctor.
Dilantin may bring about swelling and seeping of the gums and can expand your peril of gum injury. You ought to speak concerning appropriate approaches to nurturing to your teeth as well as gums while taking this medication. Prior to taking this medication, you ought to inform your physician in the event that you have or have ever had:
- kidney malady
- liver malady
- a folate or vitamin B-12 insufficiency porphyria (an uncommon, innate state that influences your blood’s hemoglobin)
- You ought to likewise notify your doctor on the off chance that you are a dipsomaniac or have ever devoured a lot of liquor.
- Enlighten your physician that you are taking Dilantin prior to having any sort of surgery, together with dental procedures.
- If there should arise an occurrence of crisis, you might need to wear a medical alert tag or hold an ID card that declares you take Dilantin, so medicinal care suppliers know.
- Indications of Stevens-Johnson disorder incorporate hives, rash, skin disturbance and shedding, and swelling of the face and tongue, plus rankles.
- Various clinical, as well as anecdotal reports, have connected anticonvulsants, for example, Dilantin to Stevens-Johnson disorder, an uncommon however life-threatening turmoil of the skin and mucous membranes.
- Severe toxicity can happen in individuals who take Dilantin. This will probably happen when doses are increased or different medicines are taken or stopped.
- Regular signs of Dilantin toxicity incorporate wooziness, languor, coordination issues, and quick eye movements, in addition to outrageous weariness.
Pregnancy And Dilantin
- Dilantin is a pregnancy classification D medicine, which implies it might hurt an unborn child. In any case, having a seizure amid pregnancy can likewise hurt the unborn infant as well as the mother.
- You must not begin taking Dilantin if you are pregnant unless your physician instructs you to do as such. On the contrary, you end up plainly pregnant at the same time as taking Dilantin, don’t quit taking the medication without first consulting your physician.
- This medication may likewise make some birth control options less viable. You ought to converse with your physician regarding utilizing non-hormonal birth control medication alternatives to avoid pregnancy while taking Dilantin.
- Dilantin can go into breast milk and may hurt a breastfeeding infant. You must not breastfeed at the same time as taking this medication.
There are loads of medications that may interface with Dilantin. Prior to beginning it, enlighten your physician regarding all prescription, non-prescription, herbal, illicit, recreational, nourishing, or dietary medications you are taking, predominantly:
- Vitamin D
- Acid neutralizers that hold calcium (Maalox, Tums, Mylanta, and others)
- Amiodarone (Pacerone and Cordarone)
- Anticoagulants (blood thinners, for example, Warfarin (Coumadin))
- Chlordiazepoxide (Librium)
- Digoxin (Lanoxin)
- Disulfiram (Antabuse)
- Diazepam (Valium)
- Doxycycline (Doryx, Vibramycin, Monodox, and others)
- Fluoxetine (Sarafem, Prozac, and In Symbyax)
- Furosemide (Lasix)
- H2 antagonists, for example, Famotidine (Pepcid), Nizatidine (Axid), and Cimetidine (Tagamet) accompanied by Ranitidine (Zantac)
- A number of antidepressants together with Amoxapine (Asendin), Maprotiline, Trimipramine (Surmontil), Amitriptyline (Elavil), Nortriptyline (Pamelor), Clomipramine (Anafranil), Desipramine (Norpramin), Doxepin (Sinequan), Imipramine (Tofranil), and Protriptyline (Vivactil)
- Hormonal contraceptives (patches, birth control tablets, rings, or injections)
- HRT (hormone replacement therapy)
- Isoniazid (In Rifater and In Rifamate)
- Drugs for mental sickness and queasiness
- Different prescriptions for seizures, for example, Carbamazepine (Carbatrol, Ethosuximide (Zarontin), Equetro, and Tegretol), Methsuximide (Celontin), Phenobarbital, and Valproic Acid (Depacon, Stavzor, and Depakene)
- Molindone (Moban)
- Oral steroids, for example, Dexamethasone (Decadron, and Dexone), Prednisolone, Methylprednisolone (Medrol), and Prednisone (Deltasone)
- Paroxetine (Pexeva and Paxil)
- Reserpine (Serpalan)
- Methylphenidate (Daytrana, Metadate, Concerta, and Ritalin)
- Salicylate torment relievers, for instance, choline magnesium trisalicylate, ibuprofen, diflunisal (Dolobid), choline salicylate (Arthropan), and magnesium salicylate (Doan’s and others), on top of salsalate (Argesic, Salgesic, and Disalcid)
- Sucralfate (Carafate)
- Sulfa antibiotics
- Theophylline (Theo-Dur)
- Rifampin (Rimactane, in Rifater, and in Rifamate)
- Ticlopidine (Ticlid)
Dilantin and Alcohol
Liquor may meddle with Dilantin. You ought to talk to your physician concerning how much liquor is safe to drink when under this medication.
Dilantin and Other Interactions
Dilantin may bring about discombobulation in addition to coordination inconvenience. You must not drive or operate machinery while taking this medicine.
Dilantin turns up as a chewable pill, an extended-release pill, and to be taken orally.
- The prescribed grown-up dosage is usually 100 mg, taken two to four times each day. A few patients may need 200 mg, three times each day.
- The fluid and chewable pills are generally taken a few times each day. The capsules are typically taken one to four times each day.
- Gulp down the extended-release capsules. Try not to chew, crush or split them. Additionally, don’t take the capsules if they are stained.
- You can gulp or chew the chewable pills.
- Shake the fluid form of this medication a long time prior to each dosage.
- Your physician will most likely begin with a low dosage of Dilantin and then slowly but surely increase it.
- Attempt to take this medicine at around a similar time every day. Follow the directions on your prescription label vigilantly. Try not to take extra or a smaller amount of this medication than what is recommended.
If you overdosed, you ought to get a hold of a poison control center and reach the emergency room on time. Hints of overdose may incorporate the accompanying:
- out of control eye movements
- deficit of coordination
- out of control shaking of a part of the body
- trouble understanding reality
- coma (shortfall of awareness for a timeframe)
- moderate or garbled verbal communication
Dilantin Overdose Treatment
Treatment is nonspecific in view of the fact that there is no established antidote. For the most part, instances of overdose may be managed conventionally with symptomatic as well as steady care. Signs and symptoms of toxicity may continue up to 7 to 10 days subsequent to ingestion.
Phenytoin is ineffectively caught up in the stomach in this way albeit routine utilization of activated charcoal is not suggested; it might be mull over in the uncommon patient with a life-threatening ingestion. In patients who are not completely cognizant or have impaired gag reflex, reflection ought to be given to managing initiated charcoal by means of a nasogastric tube, once the airway route is secured. Management of a further dosage of activated charcoal might be well thought-out in patients with rising serum phenytoin levels or decline clinical condition regardless of starting disinfecting.
Peritoneal dialysis, diuresis, plasmapheresis, hemodialysis, and hemofiltration in conjunction with aggregate exchange transfusion might be of small advantage despite the fact that the last has been utilized as a part of the treatment of acute intoxication in youngsters. In intense overdose, the likelihood of different CNS depressants, among other things liquor, ought to be of primary concern. Make contact with the National Poisons Center to know how to deal with an overdose
Missed Dose of Dilantin
On the off chance that you pass up a dosage of Dilantin, take it when you recall. Nonetheless, if it’s nearly time for your next dosage, omit the missed dosage and proceed to your normal dosing plan. Again, do not double dose.
What Modes Does This Medicine Come In?
- 30 mg
Every Coni-Snap white capsule with a pink cap, engraved “Parke-Davis” plus “P-D 30” in black ink, includes 30 mg expanded phenytoin sodium.
- Magnesium stearate
- D&C Yellow No. 10
- FD&C Red No. 3
- Titanium dioxide
- 100 mg
Every Coni-Snap white capsule with orange top, engraved “Parke-Davis” & “P-D 100” in black ink, includes 100 mg expanded phenytoin sodium.
- Magnesium stearate
- FD&C Yellow No. 6
- Titanium dioxide
Every flavored, triangle shaped, grooved pill includes 50 mg phenytoin (free acid form).
- Spearmint oil
- Magnesium stearate
- 30 mg/5 mL
Every 5 mL of flavored, red-colored suspension includes phenytoin (free acid form) 30 mg.
- Red No. 2 FD&C
- Citrus extract
- Banana oil
- Magnesium aluminum silicate
- Orange oil
- Polysorbate 40
- Sodium carboxymethylcellulose
- Sodium Benzoate
- FD&C Yellow No. 6
- 125 mg/5 mL
Every 5 mL of flavored, orange-colored suspension includes phenytoin (free acid form) 125 mg.
- Banana Oil
- Citrus Extract
- Sodium Benzoate
- Orange Oil
- Polysorbate 40
- Sodium Carboxymethylcellulose
- Magnesium Aluminum Silicate
- Vanillin, &
- FD&C Yellow No. 6
- Store at room temperature far from light and dampness. Try not to store in the restroom. Keep all medicines far from kids and pets.
- Try not to flush meds down the latrine or empty them into a drain unless educated to do as such.
- Appropriately dispose of this item when it is expired or didn’t really require.
- Counsel your pharmacist or regional waste disposal organization.
How Does This Medicine Function and What Will It Accomplish for Me?
Phenytoin has a place with the gathering of medicines recognized as anti-epileptics. Phenytoin is utilized to oversee and put a stop to several sorts of seizures. Additionally, it also helps put off seizures that happen during or after neurosurgery. It deals with the brain to lessen the number and seriousness of seizures. This drug might be accessible under numerous brand names and in a few distinct forms. A particular brand name of this medicine may not be accessible in the majority of the forms or endorsed for the greater part of the conditions examined here. On top, a few types of this drug may not be utilized for the majority of the conditions talked about here.
Your physician may have recommended this drug for conditions other than those recorded in these medication information articles. In the event that you have not talked about this with your physician or don’t know why you are taking this prescription, talk to your physician. Try not to quit taking this drug without consulting your physician. It can be unsafe for individuals to take this medicine if their physician has not endorsed it.
How Long To Take It?
- Keep taking Dilantin for whatever length of time that your physician instructs you to.
- Dilantin controls your condition, however, does not cure it. In this manner, you must take your drug each day, regardless of the possibility that you feel well.
- Try not to quit taking Dilantin or lower the dose without consulting with your physician. Try not to give yourself a chance to come up short on prescription over the end of the week or on vacations.
- Halting Dilantin all of a sudden may bring about undesirable impacts or exacerbate your condition. Your physician will gradually decrease your dosage before you can quit taking it totally.
Why Is Dilantin Endorsed To Patients?
Phenytoin is an anti-seizure drug (anticonvulsant) utilized for averting or treating complex partial seizures (psychomotor seizures), generalized tonic-clonic (grand mal) seizures, and seizures happening during or after neurosurgery. It might be utilized alone or with phenobarbital or different anticonvulsants.
What Dietary Guidelines Will Be Good for Me While Taking This?
Unless your physician reveals to you generally, proceed with your ordinary eating regimen.
Would It Be Advisable for Me to Think About Storage and Disposal of the Prescription?
Keep this medicine in the container it came in, firmly closed, plus far from youngsters. Store it at room temperature, far from light & excess heat in addition to dampness (not in the restroom). Try not to freeze the fluid.
Unneeded meds ought to be discarded in distinctive modes to guarantee that pets, kids, as well as other individuals, won’t take them. On the other hand, you must not flush this medicine down the toilet. Rather, an ideal approach to discard your prescription is by means of a drug take-back program.
Converse with your pharmacist or make contact with your regional garbage/recycling division to find out about take-back programs in your group. See the FDA’s Safe Disposal of Medicines website for more info in the event that you don’t have admittance to a take-back program.
What Other Information Do I Need to Know?
Keep all meetings with your physician and the lab results. Your physician may arrange some lab tests to ensure your reaction to phenytoin.
Prior to having any lab test, inform your physician as well as the lab personnel that you are taking phenytoin.
Try not to let any other person take your medicine. Inquire with your pharmacist about any inquiries you have in relation to refilling your medicine.
It is critical for you to keep a written rundown of the greater part of the prescription and nonprescription (over-the-counter) meds you are taking. For example, minerals, vitamins, or other dietary supplements. You ought to carry this rundown with you each time you visit a physician or in the event that you are admitted to a hospital. It is likewise vital info to take with you in the event of emergencies.
What Will Different Medications Influence Dilantin?
In some cases, it is not secure to utilize a number of meds in the meantime. A few medications can boost or lower your blood levels of phenytoin, which may bring about reactions or make phenytoin less successful. Dilantin can likewise influence blood levels of certain different medications, making them less compelling or expanding reactions. Loads of medications can associate with phenytoin. The following is only an incomplete rundown. Inform your physician on the off chance that you are utilizing:
- Antibiotics, For Example, Cycloserine (Seromycin), Linezolid (Zyvox), Doxycycline (Doryx, Vibramycin, Adoxa), Isoniazid (For Taking Care Of Tuberculosis), Rifampin (Rimactane, Rifamate, Rifadin), Or Sulfa Drugs (Bactrim, Sulfatrim, Septra, Smx-Tmp, Plus Others);
- Aspirin Or Different Salicylates;
- Birth Control Pills Or Hormone Replacement Treatment;
- An Antidepressant, (For Example, Elavil, Vanatrip, Sinequan, Limbitrol, Silenor, Pamelor, Paxil, Desyrel, Zoloft, & Others);
- Stomach Acid Reducers (Like Tagamet, Prilosec, Zantac, Zegerid, Pepcid, Or Axid);
- Several Sedatives (Librium, Limbitrol, Librax, Valium) Or Antidepressants (Desyrel, Zoloft, Prozac, Rapiflux, Luvox, Sarafem, Selfemra, Symbyax);
- Heart Medicine, For Example, Amiodarone (Pacerone, Cordarone), Furosemide (Lasix), Digoxin (Digitalis, Lanoxin), Or Quinidine (Quin-G);
- Prochlorperazine (Compro, Compazine), Promethazine (Pentazine, Anergan, Phenergan, Antinaus), As Well As Different Phenothiazines;
- Steroid Medications (Prednisone & Others);
- Seizure Medication, (For Example, Carbatrol, Equetro, Solfoton, Depakene, Tegretol, Or Depakote);
- A Blood Thinner, For Example, Warfarin (Coumadin, Jantoven); Or
- Theophylline (Elixophyllin, Theo-Bid, Theo-Dur, Theolair, Uniphyl).
This rundown is not complete since there are numerous different medications that can connect with phenytoin. Enlighten your physician concerning all prescriptions you utilize. This incorporates prescription, vitamin, and over-the-counter, along with herbal items. Try not to begin another drug without telling your physician. Keep a rundown of each one of your treatments and present it to any healthcare supplier who cures you.
- Dilantin (phenytoin) is viable at averting seizures, plus treating seizures in an emergency.
- Accessible in an oral suspension and chewable pills in the event that you experience difficulty swallowing capsules.
- Accessible as a generic.
- Requires getting blood tests routinely to ensure Dilantin (phenytoin) has safe and compelling levels in your body.
- On the off chance that you have kidney issues, your dosage and kidney function should be tested out consistently to ensure Dilantin (phenytoin) levels don’t get sky-high.
- Can bring about variations in your appearance, for example, undesirable hair development, the growth of the gums, and coarsening of your facial features.
- Can make numerous different meds less viable, comprising birth control pills.
Universal Concerns from Individuals Taking Dilantin (Phenytoin)
Taking Dilatin can have negative effects on an unborn children. However, the advantages may exceed the dangers regardless of the possibility that you’re expectant. Chat with your physician.
Tip: Always converse with your physician before you take any prescription while pregnant.
Kidneys and Liver
In the event that you have kidney issues, your dosage and kidney function should be tested out routinely to ensure Dilantin (phenytoin) levels don’t get sky-high.
Things You Should Do While Taking Dilantin
Inform your physician quickly on the off chance that you see any of the following:
- increment in seizures (fits)
- swelling of the face
- solid stomach torments
- yellowing of the skin or potentially eyes
- by and large feeling unwell with tiredness, vomiting, and weakness
- Patients and guardians ought to be ready as well as monitor for these impacts.
- Notify your physician promptly in the event that you have any thoughts regarding suicide or self-hurt, any abnormal changes in the state of mind, conduct, and emotions.
Things You Should Not Do While Taking Dilantin
- Try not to offer Dilantin to any other individual, regardless of the possibility that their signs appear to be like yours or they have an indistinguishable condition from you.
- Try not to quit taking it except if your physician instructs you to.
- Try not to take Dilantin to treat some other complaints except if your physician instructs you to.
Things to Be Watchful Of
- Be watchful when driving or operating machinery until you recognize how Dilantin influences you.
- Kids must not ride a bike, climb trees or do risky activities if they are feeling dozy or lethargic.
- Be watchful when drinking liquor while taking Dilantin.
What are your thoughts on the facts about Dilantin (phenytoin)? We want to hear from you in the comments section below!
Up Next: A Close Look at Hyaluronic Acid
Editor’s Note – This post was originally published on June 13, 2017, and has been updated for quality and relevancy.
These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. None of the nutritional products mentioned is intended to Diagnose, Treat, Cure or Prevent any Disease.