What is lymphedema? I’m Dr. Steven Smith, and lymphedema is a problem I see in patients very frequently. Even if they seek second opinions and see multiple health experts, they seem to get sicker. If you are one of these sufferers, you might want to stick around to know what lymphedema is and what you can do about it.
What is Lymphedema: Here’s What you Need to Understand!
What is Lymphedema?
View this post on Instagram
Lymphedema is a condition that can occur after lymph nodes are removed or damaged during surgery. I began to develop the condition in January. In the course of moving, my leg and foot have grown to more than twice their normal size. There is no cure for lymphedema. If you google the condition, what you find is grim report after grim report. I am hopeful that this will become just another experience I am able to pull from to assist my clients in the future. But right now, it’s uncomfortable, frustrating, and scary. I am grateful to be surrounded by so many knowledgeable healers. And look forward to the day this is just another chapter in the encyclopedia of my health history. . . . . #lifeafterchemo #lymphedema
When your blood leaves your heart and goes in your tissues, about 85% comes back to the veins. The other 15% goes outside the cells and collects and drains the lymph vessels in a system called the lymphatic system. When this process is impeded by blockages, localized swelling called lymphedema results.
What Happens to Your Lymphatic Vessels?
The lymphatic system gets sludgy. Detoxification becomes ineffective. Instead of leaving your body, the toxins go to the localized “swamp” of fluids.
What Do You Do About Lymphedema?
View this post on Instagram
Have you ever heard about Lympathic System? The lymphatic system is part of the circulatory system and a vital part of the immune system, comprising a network of lymphatic vessels that carry a clear fluid called lymph (from Latin, lympha meaning "water") directionally towards the ❤️ Manual Lympathic drainage benefits the body in both health and aesthetics as it improves the functioning of the lymphatic system, helping it eliminate toxins and fluid excess accumulated between cells, reducing edema and enhancing immunity and resistance against diseases. In which Therapeutic situations is Lymphatic Drainage indicated for: . Circulatory problems; . Tired varices and legs; . Sinusitis, Rhinitis and Otitis; . Migraines; . Arthroses, Arthritis, Gout . Edema of Pregnancy; . Post-operative and post-traumatic edema; . Post-plastic surgery; . Post-liposuction; . Complementary treatment in the elimination of cellulite; If you are experiencing any of the situations above why not have it resolved as soon as possible? Don't let it become a bigger problem for you to handle. Healing Hands can take care of your issues. 🌸🙌🏻🌸 Call us and have your wellness experience. #stressless #feelinggood #achieve #welness #goldcoastliving #lympathicsystem #lympathicdrainage #lympathicflow #wellness #goldcoast #tweedheads #tweedcoast #casuarina #kingscliff #cabarita #lismore #elanora #coolangatta
There are several things you can do to treat lymphedema. There are some machines that increase lymphatic flow but usually, you don’t need these.
- Proteolytic Enzyme: For highest effectiveness, take this enzyme defense on an empty stomach. It breaks up big particles and allows better lymphatic fluid flow.
- Homeopathic Treatment: Homeopathic remedies are designed to do the same. They improve lymphatic flow within a matter of days.
Tip: Once you have a good lymphatic flow, then and only then you can start to detoxify.
What are the Other Ways to Manage Lymphedema?
Aside from the abovementioned things you can do for lymphedema treatment, there are also various ways to manage the pain it causes. You may pick one and focus or you can try all of them until the pain lessens.
Other Ways to Manage Lymphedema:
- Complete Decongestive Therapy (CDT)
- Arm or leg wrap
- Limb movements
- Salt intake reduction
- Caffeine intake reduction
- No alcohol intake
- Massage treatments
- Use of compression garments
Understand more about what lymphedema is by watching our video below:
While lymphedema is seemingly a hard condition to manage, you must take the time to understand how to properly handle it. Doing so can help medications work better to ease pain and other symptoms. If you feel your lymphatic system has been compromised and that there has been swelling in your tissues, consult a doctor right away.
What measures have you taken to manage lymphedema? Feel free to let us know in the comments section below!
Disclaimer: These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. None of the nutritional products mentioned is intended to Diagnose, Treat, Cure, or Prevent Any Disease.
Editor’s Note: This article was originally published on December 23, 2016, and has been updated for accuracy and relevancy.